Cambrian College and the Atikameksheng Anishnawbek First Nation, as represented by Chief Edward Steve Miller and Council, announced the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) that will serve as a framework for strengthening their working relationship; addressing the educational needs of the First Nation; and promoting Indigenous culture at the College.
The partnership will be mutually-beneficial to the College and Atikameksheng, with a goal of improving the quality of life of community members in and around the unceded Anishnaabe territory through the delivery of postsecondary education and training that supports the creation of a productive, inclusive and self-sufficient community.
As partners, Cambrian College and Atikameksheng Anishnawbek will:
• Focus on skills development, training and promotion of Indigenous culture and education
• Work towards increasing recruitment, retention and graduation rates among Atikameksheng Anishnawbek students
• Increase the visibility and promote the success of Atikameksheng Anishnawbek students
• Identify opportunities for collaboration in the development of new course curricula, academic programming, research initiatives, and funding supports
• Strengthen opportunities for input and participation through the College’s Circle for Indigenous Education
• Explore the delivery of Cambrian College programs and services through community-based delivery in Atikameksheng
Read more about the MoU here.