Olds College and Red Deer College have teamed up to present Start Up Saturdays Central Alberta, a program for students and recent grads focused on entrepreneurship and innovation.
Launched March 11, Start Up Saturdays Central Alberta, encourages young entrepreneurs to create a start-up company, and offers training through a series of five workshops that helps participants learn how to get their business out of the “idea” phase and into becoming an actual business.
Each workshop features a different expert, in between workshops students are challenged to take what they have learned and apply it to their start up.
Workshop topics include:
- Ideation – students will learn strategies on developing a business idea, identifying personal strengths, and testing business ideas.
- Idea Pitch and Business Model – students pitch their top business idea to a group, which will allow for feedback from mentors and the opportunity to establish collaborations, as well as introduce popular business models.
- Marketing and Branding – will help students develop their brand and find their market.
- Financials and Pitch Training – will teach the basics of financial statements, how to speak with bankers and funders, and how to pitch their business idea.
- Pitch Competition – students will pitch their start up for the opportunity to win $3,000. High potential startups may be selected to travel to Calgary to participate in the Innovation Rodeo.
“We have noticed the spirit of entrepreneurship within many Olds College students,” explains Karla Petersen, Entrepreneurship and Innovation Coordinator at Olds College. “Partnering with RDC on this initiative allows us to offer the training and expertise that our students need in order to develop an idea, or to bring an existing idea to market. We hope that by contributing to the success of student owned start-up businesses, these talented young people will stay in our communities and help our region to prosper.”
Read the full press release here.